Sunday, August 5, 2012

Social, Anti-Social, Let me tell you what you shouldn't know - Media.

For starters, it is ridiculously AMAZING to be able to see pictures of my friends and family, no matter how far away they may be.  To hear (read) their stories, experiences, needs and wants, struggles and all other things wonderful or less important.  I mean, compared to where we were 20 years ago?  If my grandparents wanted to see me or my sister, one way or another someone was making a 5 hour car trip through the corn fields with nothing but books, pillows and a children's cassette tape to keep us occupied.  "Fast forward!  Wait, STOP!  Go back!  There!  The wheels on the bus go...AHH!"  Sorry mom and dad - as a parent, I have it WAY easier.

Here's what scares me.  Facebook, and other social media sites, are all too in my face, out of place, unnecessary, your world is not mine - most of the time, keep it to yourself because your character is bleeding, I love you, but don't support that issue, get off the computer/phone and pay attention to your children or husband or wife, hide behind a screen PROBLEM!

Come on...really?!?!  Just an FYI - your world is my late night entertainment.  My nightly ritual consists of setting my alarm on my phone, reading my horoscope and then scrolling the everlasting wonders on Facebook.  As in my first paragraph, some of the things I see and read are truly enjoyable.  Other things I see and read make me enormously embarrassed...for you.  Did people miss the memo that there is a way to have private message-to-message individual conversations between yourselves on Facebook?

Over the years, I have chosen to, not remove myself, but remove others from my "friends" list because I just can't honestly stand to see adults humiliate themselves.  I know it happens, social media or not.  But hey, out of sight, out of mind.  Your uneducated, self-inflicting, inexperienced, wisdom-less downfalls do not, should not and will not influence me.

Pay attention to your older children who have their own social media account(s) - They're worse than you.  Ouch, but true.  I beg you to not let them fall victim.  They're your responsibility, control it.

Thanks to each of you out in network land, who are not fulfilling the negative trends of social media.  I truly appreciate hearing each story or comment throughout your days, so long as they're positive, and ones that everyone can appreciate and learn from. 

God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment